Lighting your home is an art. No one appreciates a sterile hospital atmosphere in their home, yet straining because of lack of light isn't appealing either. Let me share with you some easy yet classy ways to improve your home's appeal with lighting. Be sure to check our Pinterest board on lighting for further inspiration!
1. Stay away from flouresant lighting,and try incandecent light bulbs or amber led lights for a more warm ambiance.
2. Place reading lamps by your individual chairs.
3. Log Home Living suggests for textured walls use downward-pointing halogen lights to enhance the style of the material
4. Aiming accent lights at the ceiling will also provide a more spacious feel
5. Dimmer switches also reduces the glare but provides brighter light when needed.
6. Use light colored curtains to expose as much natural light as possible
7. Consider painting a wall a lighter shade. Colors can change how light is absorbed and reflected.
8. Floor types and decor color schemes also can make a big difference to the atmosphere of the room.
9. Minimizing furniture can also make a room feel lighter and brighter. Or try furniture with lighter wood. A coffee table with thinner legs where you can see the floor will also make a room feel spacious and brighter.
10. Open shelving verses dark cabinets also can help.
11. Mirrors! Mirrors are a perfect way to expand a room and reflect light. Try leaning a large mirror opposite your largest window. Place mirrors in front of candles or lamps. Tuck your mirror behind the couch, or as your headboard. Paneled doors can easily be made to hold mirrors.
Tile in the bathroom or as a kitchen backsplash can also reflect light.