1. Is TINY what you want? Remember – an average-sized tiny home is less than 400 square feet. How tiny can you be at home with? Are you willing to become a minimalist? If you just want to live in a tiny home because it's the newest fad or just because they are cute – this might not be the right lifestyle for you. Tiny home living certainly is a lifestyle and mindset.
2. Educate yourself! A great first-thing-to-do is find “Tiny Homes” on social media. You can find so much inspiration on any social media platform (Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram). Also, grab a few magazines from your local library! Information and education on “tiny living” abound. Connect with other Tiny House people! There are plenty of groups online and even conferences along the nation.
3. Traveling tiny home or not? If you have a stationary tiny home your options are vast. But you also have to consider where you are going to build. If you're planning on being a tiny home nomad, you will have to consider your need of a special license in order to tow your home. Your going to want to look into the cost of setting a foundation or buying a trailer.
4. Finding a builder or DIY? There are many many DIY plans on Pinterest alone. Even if you know what you like, it never hurts to get advice from some experts.
5. Design! Every time you have an idea – make sure to write it down. Whether you keep a Pinterest board or draw your designs on napkins – keep a visual idea handy. Consider your climate. What are your needs? You don't want to forget space for clothes, trash, or cleaning implements. There are great storage ideas on Pinterest. Windows! When you live in small spaces, natural light is so important to not feel crowded.
6. Start decluttering now. What do you need? What do you use? Can you get rid of/donate the rest? A great place to start is your closet. Many of us have plenty of clothes we never take off the hanger. Next stop – Goodwill!